Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Surprises

Have you ever had one of those races that you went into thinking "I'm probably not in that good of shape-this could turn out ugly".....and somehow surprisingly you knock it out of the park?

I feel like I've had a lot of those lately. Still being in between houses/sort of homeless and temporarily husband-less, training has continued to take back seat to "life" as they call it. I went into the past weekend without a lot of confidence. My right ITB was super locked up as I did a tough CrossFit workout a few days before. *Oops. I was super sore going into the weekend. Either way I figured it would be a good fitness gauge.

Without going into too much boring detail that none of you care to read, I was stoked to drop over 10 minutes from my prior OLY PR and to bike 1:06. In the end, my 2:18 scored a 3rd OA/1st AG slot. 

I will say I'm enjoying both short course training and racing---and liking the balance with adding CrossFit...Strangely enough I've been seeing more results with less mileage on my body and finding a large amount of strength deficiencies. I know most endurance athletes probably don't want to hear that. Either way I'm glad it's working. And yes I've been drinking a lot of CrossFit Kool-aid lately can you tell?

Cheers to a different training approach and making new Florida tri friends :)


3 comments:

  1. Hey Heidi. I read that last night/early morning. It was like 2:00 AM. I thought crap, am I going to run 47 miles before 5:00 AM. Nope, I slept til like 7:30 AM and did a lot of house crap. :) WOOO HOOO!! Living the life here.

    Anyhoo congrats on your race, and hope you guys have fun on your racecation coming up. ;)

    Have a good one.

    p.s. you should blog more. You are one of my fave peeps. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in a similar place in life. Going into Timberman Half Iron tomorrow after 6 months of a new commute, less training, not expecting much. Crossing fingers. I am thinking of trying a little cross fit as well. CONGRATS! Love when that happens!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Heidi! I'm also coming from a crossfit background so I'm glad I found your page! Question is how did you find crossfit helping your tri, and second is how much crossfit do you do with your regular tri training? Can you give me some ideas on your crossfit and regular tri workouts? Would really love to know!

    Btw, way to kick butt!!

    ReplyDelete