Black Beans and Quinoa
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic, and saute until lightly browned.
- Mix quinoa into the saucepan and cover with vegetable broth. Season with cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes,
- Stir frozen corn into the saucepan, and continue to simmer about 5 minutes until heated through. Mix in the black beans and cilantro.
Besides baking and eating, I've been doing my fair share of drinking way too many adult beverages. As a matter of fact, I think I embarrassed myself at a christmas party when I told my husband's commanding officer that he needed to do more core strengthening exercises. Oops. I was one hot mess. Needless to say I think I got that out of my system.
Other than that, NOLA 70.3 training starts Dec 27th. Since I'm coming off IM FL, I will start 16 weeks out. I know most programs start at 20 weeks out, but I think 16 is a smarter strategy. Looking forward to it big time! As for now workouts have been swimming, biking, and running an hour or so 1x a week and lifting/cross-fitting/core on the other days.
Three rounds for time:
Run 400 meters
1 1/2 pood Kettlebell X 21 swings (or 55 pound dumbbell swing)
Other than that, I'm off to the "burgh" tomorrow for a physical therapy presentation at the University of Pittsburgh. Hopefully, I don't ripped a new one and I don't freeze my butt off. I feel bad for all my fellow northerners. Brrr!!!