For 2011 I wanted to do an updated New Orleans 70.3 race course preview. Due to PT school deadlines and my demanding clinical schedule, I wasn't able to pull through. Feel free to reference the 2010 race course preview if you like. Not too much has changed. INSTEAD: I'm presenting the quick and dirty top 10 things to know about the NOLA 70.3. Enjoy!
1. Don't forget the tinted goggles on the swim. You will need them.
2. The swim course is more confusing than it appears- Make sure you understand it before you hit the water. The lake currents are tricky.
3. Be cautious on the bike. Although it's flat beware of gravel, railroad tracks, grates, bridges etc. And cones too. They are killer!
4. Sunscreen is a must.
5. DO NOT underestimate the humidity in NOLA. It will rock your world.
6. Cherish the shade on the run. There isn't much of it.
7. We don't have hills in NOLA, but there is wind.
8. If you need to swim, bike, and run before the race hit up Lakeshore drive. You can do all 3 there. There is also a river levee and Audubon Park for biking/running.
9. Post race please reward yourself with an adult beverage: preferably a hurricane or hand grenade. If you would rather ingest solid calories try some classic Cajun food or some homemade ice cream to cool you off. And don't forget the beignets at Cafe Du Monde. 10. Meet Kim and I in the French Quarter for the continued post race festivities!
Let me know if you are racing here this weekend :) !