Sunday, May 17, 2009

Life is Good

Although I'm back in Pittsburgh again and back to school, I must say life is good right now. I look back over the last 10 weeks and think about all of the hurdles I had to clear and how many I knocked completely over.... I hit some deep valleys and questioned if I would ever make it out.

Here I am! I'm still diggin my way out ~recovering from the physical damage as well as the "grade" damage. Despite my horrible academic performance, my advisor and the university faculty have been understanding. Many were surprised I finished the semester. While most wouldn't consider a 2.8 "horrible", in PT school it apparently is. In the grand scheme of things, I'm just happy I passed neuro. (the worst class in PT school) Ewwwww...

This is week 2 back to school. The best part is, I only have 3 days of classes 8-3. That is like a vacation compared to last semester. Long weekends are every weekend which equates to lots of time spent with Scott. And my sister and bff angela is back from utah for the summer. She keeps me sane when I'm away from Scott.

As far as recovery goes, I'm still on crutches sorta~kinda. I'm supposed to be 50% weight bearing! (ooooops) I usually take my crutches to class and that's about it. I can walk fine. Even my PT said the surgeon was being too conservative. At times I feel like I'm faking an injury because I don't really "need" the crutches. I'm also back to swimming, lifting, core strengthening, and teaching spinning on the bike. I've been teaching 4 classes a week :) But no real biking yet or running :( My final x-rays are on May 28th. That day could not come any sooner.

I'm trying to get an idea of when I can begin racing again. I'm anxious to get back out there. Patience....patience... i know.......Realistically the tri season is shot. I'm thinking my first race could be a 5k or 10k in the fall. As of now, I'm shooting for the Great Race in Pittsburgh. I placed last year and thought it would be a good "comeback" race if I do have one.

In other news, I'm heading back to Pensacola this weekend and also driving over to New Orleans for a wedding. Timing couldn't be better. Scott and I are going to scope out the neighborhoods. As long as Scott doesn't have to fly of course. Either way I'll be with Scott and in Florida not Pittsburgh. Like I said, life is good and it's only going to get better :)

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you are recovering so well and doing great! You have overcome so much and you have some great strength in the bank. I'm glad your class schedule isn't as heavy either. That helps right! Glad to hear things are good. I'm back in the burgh too and getting used to the area again. We'll get together soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A major injury and school do not mix very well - so congrats on rocking out the semester! And at least you are able to swim, lift, and teach spinning!!

    Have a safe trip to P-cola. The weather is suppose to be stellar this weekend!!

    ReplyDelete