Monday, May 11, 2009

culinary extravaganza

Since I've been hurt, I have had a couple goals in mind. One of my major ones was to explore and try new things outside of running and triathlon. I've been running since I was 11 years old. It's time to try something outside of my comfort zone. In order to accomplish such, I brainstormed various things. One of those things happened to be cooking classes.

While in Pensacola, my friend Caralee and I decided to go out on the limb and sign up for a culinary class titled "cooking with alcohol". Going into it, we had no idea what to expect. My vision included stuffy-southern old ladies showing off their superb housewife skills. Admittedly, I was afraid. Afraid of the my old lady competition that is..... Luckily it was a "sit back and observe" cooking class. No actual cooking required :) And even better: we got to try everything the chef prepared!

The night began with a couple glasses of delicious white wine followed by four decadent courses. The dished included: 1 shrimp bruschetta with sambuca 2 penne with a vodka penne sauce 3 salmon with capers, cream sauce, and asparagus 4(best for last) Bananas Foster with Grand Marnier, strawberries, and vanilla ice cream. The dessert was definitely the best! To die for!

Caralee and I had a blast! I never knew cooking could be so fun!(maybe it's better when alcohol is involved)

We are anxious to have a lil party when I go back to Pcola to cook for our husbands. Hopefully it will taste just as good.

It felt absolutely refreshing to try something new and "expand my horizons" as cheesy as that sounds. I'm finally beginning to take advantage of these small opportunities I now have.

Although I truly miss intense training, racing, and of course my true love:running, the adventure of the unknown has it's perks. For now I'm taking advantage of them :)


2 comments:

  1. Nice! I'll have to check out that class next time I'm over in Pcola!!! Looks wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so fun Heidi! The dishes she created look amazing and the wine looks even better! Love it! I agree about expanding the horizons. I have always wanted to spend more time cooking and learning how to make amazing stuff. I know it's not that hard, it just takes time but with training and racing time is limited so I feel you on that. I'm glad you're taking advantage of this time and mental break and I know it will be a great thing for you. When you come back, you'll come back with a vengence. Have fun and we'll talk when you get back in the burgh. Let me know!

    ReplyDelete