Friday, May 29, 2009

Hurt Soo Good

Yesterday was the first day in a long time that brought forth some good news from my surgeon. I had my third round of post surgery x-rays and they apparently looked decent enough to remove my 11-week crutch sentence. YAY! While I haven't been using them ALL the time, it was relieving for my conscious. I no longer have to walk into the gym or the pool with people giving me crazy looks for being there! People probably think psycho.

The healing process is nowhere near over. I have to go back again in 6 weeks for more x-rays to ensure the plate across my pubic symphysis hasn't broke. With my activity level, my surgeon seems pretty convinced it will break-equating to more surgery. Some people get broken plates removed while others don't. Luckily my surgeon said he would coordinate the surgery in the fall to prevent another season loss. It was reassuring to hear that he's finally started treating me like an athlete, not just "some other patient". As long as I can race next season, I will be content.

With my new found freedom I decided to walk to and from the pool today instead of taking the bus. Although it's only a little over a mile each way, to my atrophied, weak legs it felt awesome! Gotta start somewhere. Today was an anaerobic endurance day in the pool. Lately, I've been doing a lot of longer, slow stuff so it was time for some change.

My workout was:
W/U:
300 SW
300 Kick
300 Pull

Main set
6x75
300 Pull
6x50
200 Kick
6x50

C/D 100

Probably doesn't even sound like a workout to most of my fellow triathletes.... But I've lifted a lot of upper body all week and it was actually quite torturous. I'm at the stage now where I "heart" pain and soreness. The simple act of being able to workout is the most satisfying thing in the world to me. It hurt SOOOO good and I loved every second of it :) Ahhh...sigh...it feels good to be back!

1 comment:

  1. Welcome back :) Glad you had a good dr appt yesterday and he's willing to coordinate the surgery so you can rock it next season!

    ReplyDelete