Sunday, March 03, 2013

NOLA Rock N Roll Half

Heading into my first half marathon for the year, I had some lofty goals and expectations. My goal was to break a 1:30. Since I don't race a lot of strictly running races, I thought this would be my shot. After Superbowl festivities, Mardi Gras indulging, and then the flu -my goal quickly transformed into "I hope I can run 13.1 miles". For awhile, I didn't think I would be able to run at all.

Instead of the allowing the stress of being sick get to me, I embraced the day and kept a positive attitude. While the race turned out to be more like a training run, I couldn't have asked for a better day.
I was a good 4 minutes behind last year and for some reason thought it was a good idea to go out sub 7s. I definitely paid for that later on. Ooops. Either way lesson learned and time to move on to the rest of the season :)

On a positive note, yay for a wiener dog surprise at the finish line!

And double yay for a delicious post race brunch and the prettiest latte ever at Satsuma on Maple.
Sometimes things don't work out as planned regardless of how well you set your goals. Now it's time to re-evaluate and move on :) This girl needs to find another half!

3 comments:

  1. Sometimes I find the best race strategy for races where training hasn't gone exactly the way you wanted it to is "Just go for it!" Haha You may have paid for the sub-7s, but if you made a more conservative pace, you may have wondered if you COULD make sub-7.

    You enjoyed the day. That's what matters. Onto the next! Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you still did a great job considering the lead up to the race! I'm sure 1:30 is right around the corner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the fantastic race - even not feeling 100%

    ReplyDelete