Monday, February 22, 2010

My Guilty Pleasure

I like swimming don't get me wrong, but have you ever had one of those days where your tired, your entire body hurts, your legs hate you, and after every 50 you want to take a gun to your head???? Maybe I just still don't like swimming that much.... but I have those days probably at least once a week.

To combat the boredom, get me motivated, and sometimes even just to beef up my heart rate I've been using this:I call it my guilty pleasure. I know i-pods are controversial in training but my long runs would not get done without some good booty-shaking music. All you do is pop in your ipod shuffle and walla! The whole system is waterproof.

At first I never thought I would use it. After a couple of trials, I became an instant addict. Despite the headphones falling out every once in awhile, it really kept me motivated and even gave me a little kick in the a** when I needed it... (Especially on my long 4500 yd days=yuck!)

Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end. Since I'm the rockstar-of-clumsiness, last week I made smooth move of dropping my i-pod into the pool while closing the case. Luckily for the sake of my long runs, I have the nano back-up!

12 comments:

  1. I want one fo the new little 2 gig speedo mp3 players that clips on your goggle strap its so small. I have an otter for my nano but find the head phones fry every 3-4 months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boo on the dropped music! hope you can make up with your runs and music! have a great time in Salt Lake City, I am jealous, would love to get to some mountains! hope your training is going great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I def need all the extra incentives/motives I can muster to get in the pool. Are these pricey?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice, I probably get most bored in the pool. I can do the long runs without but the pool with nothing but a lane line to look at BORING!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've thought about using these many times. One question--do you lose count of your laps because you're so tuned in? Always wondered that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i think they're only $50-60... not too bad :) i got it as a gift though. i don't think i would have bought it for myself~

    ReplyDelete
  7. And i do lose track of laps...but i do that normally so i wouldn't blame the music :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heidi
    Bummer, dropping it in the water. I think it must be awesome to use during swim. Can get so boring.

    I tried my Ipod on run but as you said the ear plugs keep falling out. on bicycle I can't do long bikes without my ipod. Having one plug in ear and other ear to listen for traffic.

    Makes those long bike sessions not that brutal
    Johan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Uh, I am not sure about that (just because of my clumsiness) but I would love some music in the pool.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have looked at those and was waiting for someone to review it before I made a decision to buy one or not. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  11. If Scott wants to get me one - I'm in!! Ha! Glad it's helping you and sorry you dropped it!!

    ReplyDelete