This year I've been dealing with nagging shoulder pain with swimming and biking aero. Despite some early season frustration, I think I've been cured. To help out my fellow triathletes who may be experiencing the same thing, I thought I would share what I've learned from research as well as from my own personal rehab. To keep it simple~ I'm breaking it down into a "to do" list.
In my particular case, I've been dealing with shoulder impingement. What is impingement you ask? Impingement occurs when the rotator cuff tendons are compressed by part of the shoulder blade(acromion) with overhead activity. As the arm is lifted, the acromion rubs, or "impinges" on, the surface of the rotator cuff. This causes pain and limits movement. Please note these guidelines are only specific to that diagnosis.
Heidi's "To Do's" for Swimmer's Shoulder
1. Take a good look at your posture.
Do you have a forward head or rounded shoulders? Do you sit all day in a slumped position at your job/school?
2. Try out a posture shirt.
Although there is no published research yet to support their usage, they can help increase your postural awareness and proprioception. This is the one I've been using for some time from Evidence Based Apparel:
Note: it has to fit very tight to get the job done. I have worn mine throughout the work day and during bike trainer sessions. Because of it's tight fit, I've only worn in it for 1-3 hours at a time.
3. Strengthen your rotator cuff and scapular stabilizers!
Here are my favorite exercises that I've been doing:
4. Avoid kick boards as they put your shoulder in a position of impingement.
5. Stay away from the paddles.
6. REST if you can until you fix the root of the problem.
7. If you can't rest, keep your workouts below 4000 m until the pain subsides.
8. Have a professional take a look at your stroke.
9. See a good sports physical therapist :)
10. And since most of you will ignore #6, I will say it one more time: REST!
And don't forget Chloe's sweet Betty designs give away. Their products are sick! In fact, I just caved and ordered a wrist band and shorts last night.