Tuesday, September 15, 2009

the feel of the water

On several occasions I've heard swimmers refer to something called "the feel of the water". I have heard many of the fish type makes comments like... if they don't swim for awhile, they the lose "the feel". I used to think that was a little hokey-pokey. Crazy fish talk!

I have never been a big fan of swimming. My distaste goes back to my middle school-swimming-years when obese girls use to beat me (in EVERY race). That lasted a whole season until I transitioned into competitive diving. Not fun to say the least :(

Lately however, I have had a change of heart. They are right! Since I broke my pelvis, I have been forced to spend extra hours in one of my least favorite places: the water. It hasn't been so bad though as my swimming has improved leaps and bounds over the past couple months. Some milestones include: finally being able to perform consistent flip-turns, dropping my 100 time by over 10 seconds, and improving my stroke efficiency/form. BUT there is a downside..... Now if I spend more than one day out of the water, it feels weird! (Kinda like I'm losing my gills or something)

I'm glad I'm finally embracing "my inner fish"! Hopefully it will pay off this weekend when I do my first Olympic for the season~

No comments:

Post a Comment